Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Bad news in Rotterdam



I hadn’t seen the doctor since the operation and when I asked about him he was always busy or out of town (he’s the only guy in the world that does this procedure). I thought nothing of it and just thought about being cured. Finally on the day before I left Rotterdam for home, he said he’d meet me in his office. There he pulled the rug out from under me. He said when he cut open my leg and got a good look at what he was dealing with, he wanted to amputate. The main nerve was completely encased by the tumor and cutting it would mean having a useless dead leg. He was able to remove 80% of the tumor but the rest was still in there wrapped around my knee. There was nothing further he could do for me, sorry, and thanks for coming in, have a safe trip home. I waited until we were back in the familyhaus to break down crying. This time going home there was no fun to be had in the veelchair.

No comments: